2024 Random Cowboys Stuff Thread

son of deadrise

DCC 4Life
This has really become the company line. So and so just needs to step up. But that feels a little like blind faith unless the player last year gave them a reason for that belief or hope. And in this case other than maybe Overshown, these guys had their chances and didn't flash shit in my opinion. Unless Fehoko has bulked up to play 3 tech, I see no hope for the guy being more than maybe the fifth DE on the roster. Schoonmaker will continue to get his chance, but #2 TE is such a back burner position in my mind. And Mazi, he has been hurt, the blind faith with him is kind of crazy to me.
I seem to recall that was a big part of the Jason Garrett approach -- so and so needs to step up. Very similar to his "next man up" bullshit. Like, let's wave a magic wand and make a player something he's never going to be.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Then what was the fucking point?
So Jerry could remind everyone he's boss and doesn't have to check with anyone else before making a trade.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
They should just see if he would take an extension that's less than the fifth year option. Fifth year option for QBs is pretty pricy unless he is your starter. We weren't signing up for 22 mil on the fifth year option.
Isn't this for next year, though? Usually thats decided after the season. Hell they may let Dak walk so he would be your starter by default.

Just typical cowboys BS. Just let everybody know ahead of time.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Isn't this for next year, though? Usually thats decided after the season. Hell they may let Dak walk so he would be your starter by default.

Just typical cowboys BS. Just let everybody know ahead of time.
The fifth year option is for 2025. They knew the contract when they traded for him. It's why I have no idea what the plan was. You knew he wouldn't be your backup last year. So did you really trade a fourth for the guy to be your backup for one year? It's why some sort of a short extension with great incentives would make way more sense. I feel like the Packers did something like that with Love but I could be wrong.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Why would he do that though when he'll be behind Dak? I'm sure he'd rather be free to sign and compete as a starter somewhere.
Because everyone else knows he's not any good so wouldn't offer him much either?

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Because everyone else knows he's not any good so wouldn't offer him much either?

In such a QB desperate league I'd imagine there are several QB needy teams that would at least bring him in to see if he's figured it out. Especially if he looks pretty good in the preseason.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Why would he do that though when he'll be behind Dak? I'm sure he'd rather be free to sign and compete as a starter somewhere.
Well that's probably why you should have made a decision on the Dak extension by now. All 3 of our QBs contracts expire after this season. Jordan Love did that because Aaron Rodgers was near the end in Green Bay. Dak could be here another 4 years with an extension.

Of course if Dak leaves I guess Lance becomes a priority for us in free agency.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
In such a QB desperate league I'd imagine there are several QB needy teams that would at least bring him in to see if he's figured it out. Especially if he looks pretty good in the preseason.
If he looks good in preseason all bets are off. I bet Jerry will pay to keep him if that happens, unless he looks great and someone takes a real gamble on him with a big contract.

Personally, I doubt that happens because I think he's a total spare.

That brings up a thought, though... We don't play starters in preseason, so what kind of mishmash OL is he going to have? Not to mention WRs?

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
That brings up a thought, though... We don't play starters in preseason, so what kind of mishmash OL is he going to have? Not to mention WRs?
I hate how this organization doesn't seem to care how they don't put their young, developmental players in the best position to succeed in the preseason.

Remember all those years we couldn't properly assess our receivers or tight ends because we had arguably the worst backup QB situation in the league and they struggled just to run the offense?

I too think Lance isn't an NFL QB, but if you're gonna put him out there, at least give the kid a real shot and give him enough tools to work with to make a proper evaluation.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I mean we have some real depth on the Oline now. I mean the backups are probably going to have guys like Cooper Beebe and Bass and Thomas out there. That's young but pretty damn good to be going against teams backups. Other than Zach Martin I imagine most of the Oline will play in preseason unlike years past.

Or maybe Beebe is the starter by then. If that's the case Hoffman playing at center isn't bad in preseason either.

I think what Dallas needs to do is have defined roles for these guys though. The second team unit shouldn't just be throw these guys put wherever. If Bass is the backup RG, he plays RG. If Thomas is the backup LG, put him at LG. If Beebe is trying to win the center spot, he is your center. Put Asim Richards at LT.

The only guy that I worry about is Ball, Edoga and Waltzko because those guys all kind of suck.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I too think Lance isn't an NFL QB, but if you're gonna put him out there, at least give the kid a real shot and give him enough tools to work with to make a proper evaluation.
Dak will barely play if at all in preseason. You know what Rush is. I hope that Lance plays the vast majority of preseason. Hell let him do what Romo once did which was start and play an entire preseason game. At least let the inexperienced guy get experience. Let him have some starting weapons (I wouldn't risk Lamb) but guys like Cooks, Tolbert and Brooks should all be playing.

Cujo

DCC 4Life

Excellent point. He's not exactly going to have optimum conditions to shine. They just did not think this through at all. They had several opportunities last season at the end of games and chose to give that time to Rush. Might as well have flushed that 4th down the fucking toilet.

Top Bottom